When it comes to adopting a pet there are many avenues that you can research. I personally feel that adopting from the humane society is the best option or taking a pet from a home that no longer fits. I always feel that if people were more responsible with the way that they treated their animals then there would be a lot less problems in the future.
Adopting from the humane society takes the following 9 steps:
To adopt from IndyHumane (Humane):
- Have your family visit our shelter and choose the animal you would like to adopt.
- Adoptions and holds must be done in person.
- Read the information provided on the animal’s kennel card (or on-line profile) in detail.
- Bring the animal’s kennel card (located on the front of the kennel) to the adoption lobby.
- Fill out an adoption application.
- Completed applications must be turned in one hour prior to closing to allow ample time for processing.
- A picture ID is required to complete an adoption.
- Adopters must be 21 years of age.
- Many adoptions can be completed the same day, but some may require additional time.
We invest $600 – $800 in the average animal’s care. Your generous support above and beyond the adoption fee makes it possible for us to save lives like the one of the pet you adopt (Humane).
- Puppies (under 7 months of age): $225
- Small Breed Dogs (7 months and older): $195
- Medium and Large Breed Dogs (7 months and older): $125
- Kittens (under 7 months): $105
- Cats (7 months and older): $20
A few animals that are available for adoption at the moment are:
Steps to a happy animal and happy owner are (Care):
- Spend time with your animal. Yes that animal may be just a part of YOUR life but to the animal you are their WHOLE life.
- Greet you animal when you get home. Animals miss their owners when they are away and wait for their arrival. If the owner simply brushes them off when they get home, then what is the point of having the animal if you do not care for it enough to greet them?
- Take the animal to the vet! This is a big issue for me. If you are going to have a pet, then understand that there are going to be times when you need to take them to the vet. They cannot express that something is wrong with them. They need their owner to keep a look out for any problems that they may be having.
- Make sure that they always have fresh water to drink. Just like humans, animals need water to be healthy. The more the better! This prevents many health issues that may arise without the proper water intake.
Over the years my family has had many animals that have been near and dear to my heart. I am an animal lover and am adamant that if people are going to commit to adopting an pet then that animal needs to be one of your number one priorities. Just like a child an animal needs you to take care of them, give them food and water and make sure that they have a safe place to live (Care).
In my mind a pet is such a special gift. They will be by your side day in a day out. They will always trust you and never tell any of your secrets. A pet is a companion and the best friend that anyone could ask for. No person can be that loyal no matter what.
Please comment below and tell me about your beloved pets or adoption experiences!